Art Nouveau brooch/pendant
Featuring an elegant and elaborate floral motif, this antique pairs carefully crafted yellow gold with enamel - including an enchanting, transparent plique-a-jour backdrop - depicts a single pink-toned poppy flower.
Budapest, former Ministry of Justice, designed by Alajos Hauszmann, built in 1891-1896, eclectic style.
The architect: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alajos_Hauszmann
History of the building:
The building in which the Museum of Ethnography is now housed was originally built by Alajos Hauszmann (1847-1926) for the Ministry of Justice. As such, its grand style and richly ornamented interior reflect the majestic and powerful place Hungary’s government occupied in Europe at the time. Sitting opposite the Parliament in Kossuth tér, its grand, stone-clad facade is ornamented with columns and statuary, and above, with a three-horse chariot holding the figure of the guiding spirit of the enlightenment.
Once through the dimly lit, restrained foyer, however, visitors find themselves amidst the splendour of the main hall. Grand staircases, classical columns of multi-coloured marble, stucco and gilt decorations and a huge ceiling fresco make the importance of this building and its original function clear.
After World War II, damages to the building were repaired and the entire palatial construction renovated by the architect Elemér Csánk. In 1950 the Institute of the Hungarian Labour Movement moved into the building. Later, in April 1957, it was occupied by the Institute of Party History and the Hungarian National Gallery. The Museum of Ethnography moved in in 1973.
In-depth building information:
On 7 November 1891 Alajos Hauszmann (1847-1926) was commissioned by Justice Minister Dezső Szilágyi to plan a building for the Ministry of Justice. On 11 June 1892, Hauszmann presented a blueprint and specifications for a new hall of justice to be constructed in the style of buildings in Rome. The main façade of the building was to be entirely of stone, while at the sides stone was to be used only for the pedestals and cornices. The foundation was to be constructed of layers of concrete, the roofing supported by iron girders, and the ceiling over the hall and second floor made of reinforced concrete. According to a clause appended to provision 2 of Hauszmann’s contract, the entire building, or at least the entrance hall, great hall, stairways, and the ceremonial hall were to be completed by 1 May 1896, so that the millennial celebrations of the Hungarian state might be held there.
The building permit was approved by the City Council of Pest with the approval of the Council for Public Works on 15 June 1893. Actual construction of the building diverged little from the original plan. Work was begun 16 August, 1893 and the building completed 1 May 1896. The total cost of construction was 2,454,851.23 Hungarian forints, subsequently paid in instalments under Article XXVI of a financial act passed in 1899. A document written on Corvine parchment, was laid in the cornerstone, and Alajos Hauszmann was accorded the “Pro litteris et artibus” merit award for his work.
In terms of both form and layout, the Hall of Justice is certainly one of Alajos Hauszmann’s greatest achievements. The original letter of commission had specified that the building should be grandiose, but should also display a certain degree of restraint. Constructed in antique Roman style, the building possesses four façades (the main façade facing Kossuth tér, those at the sides facing Szalay u. and Alkotmány u., and the back façade facing Vajkay u.), covers an area of 6392m2, and has a total floor space of 165,104m3. Despite its strict proportions, the building’s ornamentation, and especially that of the interior, is executed playfully, while its bulk is distributed effectively, and its horizontal and vertical lines maintain an elegant balance.